Tax Tips for UCATS Members

Beginning this year you can deduct your union dues from your New York State income taxes if you choose to itemize. Furthermore, beginning this year, you can also Itemize your state income taxes even if you have chosen the standard deduction on your federal income taxes. These two changes to the New York State tax code are a result of legislation championed by our state federation, New York State United Teachers (NYSUT) and the AFL-CIO. Before you do your federal taxes you should also review 15 Things NYSUT Members Need to Know About the New Tax Law which has been prepared for NYSUT members by Kiplinger’s. As a member of UCATS you are also a member of NYSUT.